Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What more could I want: Dancing & Shopping!

Last week our compound received an email about a ‘special bazaar’ that would be on Saturday night. When I got the email I thought to myself that this whole thing sounded lame. Some local vendor must of worked himself a deal to sell his crap two days instead of one day a week. Luckily I decided to check it out anyways.
When I stepped outside there was Afghan music blaring and people clapping. I walked around the corner and saw a huge group of people standing around a live band playing. The band had the works piano, drums, guitar, singer, amps, and speakers. It was the real deal. I walked over to join the crowd and saw a bunch of the local Afghan workers (men) dancing in front of the band while the rest of us (military, civilians, & contractors) were standing in a circle clapping them on.
standing around clapping

The Band



Dancing Workers

It was so different to see the local workers open up and be outgoing. Usually I don’t even hear them speak. Now after standing around clapping for two songs, of which I had no idea what they were singing, I was itching to dance. I had forgotten how much I missed music, dancing, and celebrating. So I used my cruise ship skills and went out to dance with the Afghans. Needless to say 15 minutes later more and more people started to join in. Soon it was a multicultural dance party. I even got the General, SGM, and my boss to dance. It was beautiful to witness and be part of. I finally felt part of a community.
Dancing Circle

Getting My Groove On

Chatting It Up

I was on a high so of course I went shopping and I bought FOUR carpets. The crazy thing about this is that at the time it was 8:30PM!! So I basically bought FOUR carpets in the dark! After that purchase I was the new best friend of the seven brothers selling these carpets such good friends that the dude who sold me the carpets wanted to dance. My reply you ask? I would dance with him but it would cost him $100.00 off my rugs. The man loved it. They love this bargaining thing. I’m still getting use to it. I even took my carpet dude to the JENG General so he could tell my carpet dude to give me a price break if I danced with him. Of course the General said that in America we would call that something else. My reply was thank goodness we aren’t in America. Sometimes I don’t know how I get away with this. It was a great night and I can’t wait for the next one I just don’t know if my wallet can handle it.
Carpet Shop where I spent all my money!

My Carpet Family and the General

3 comments:

  1. I expect nothing less from you Colby :) :) Though G&P may be horrified to hear of your fraternizing after their warnings this past summer. Can't wait to see your carpets! Did you like them in the daylight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like you had fun! -katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is HILARIOUS! Way to barter with the locals! Take a picture of your rugs! How big are they? I bet you're going to keep those rugs forever and the rest of your life, tell the story about how you got these FOUR rugs for FREE just because you did a BELLY DANCE for the shop owner... oh wait. The story might have changed already. =)

    ReplyDelete