Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dubai to Kabul

My flight from Dubai landed in the Kabul runaway on Sunday afternoon.  The terminal looked like a worn down manufacture plant. I disembarked from the plane onto the tarmac and made my way to the terminal where I first had to go through immigration and show my passport. No issues there. I picked up my luggage in the next room where there were about 15 males trying to help me with my luggage (for money of course). I had to be pretty stern for them to get the point (they didn't like that) and ended up being the 'bodyguard' for the rest of my Corps buddies.
 Next I went through customs with no problems. I should have taken pictures of all this but I was preoccupied with trying not to stick out or get pulled to the side for interrogationJ. From there the group and I walked about two blocks to the secured parking lot where our Force Protection caravan was waiting for us. We put on our tan jump suite, helmet, bullet proof vest, and safety glasses. We were given a safety briefing basically telling us what to do if we were attacked on our way to the compound. After that we were assigned SUV’s. I hopped in the back of a huge suburban and off we went barreling through the city of Kabul with lights and sirens.  It was about a 15 minute drive to Qalaa House Compound where we all taken. Most of us were not going to work at Qalaa House this is just where we were taken to be in processed.
As soon as I have it typed I will tell you my adventures at Qalaa House and how I finally made it to New Kabul Compound (NKC). Hopefully pictures will follow too!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe it's old hat to you, but you are so brave! I would have had a heart attack driving in a foreign country with sirens blaring from my vehicle. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for explaining (TO GRAMMY) why you did not get photos of your experience in the airport!

    ReplyDelete
  3. INTENSE. Sounds like everything you dot here is going to be intense :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know if Grammy had her way I would be taking pictures of everything and probably be arrested by now.

    ReplyDelete